Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Day 10

Well...

I've been in Yellowknife just over a week and it's been great! I've been so overwhelmed with the experience that it's been tough to write this last entry.

I can honestly say I'm use to the cold now. It started with the Shelter Challenge the weekend before I left Kingston and I haven't felt temperatures over -25 +/- since! I was looking at a weather report and I laughed when I realized that I know think -15 is warming up ;)

I've met a handful of great people over the last week who have taken me on tours of the city, out to cabins, lakes and houseboats. I'm amazed at how much this city has to offer. There's a ski club, curling rinks, indoor racket clubs, arenas, hiking trails, beaches and camp grounds, tons of galleries and great restaurants AND it's almost all within the city limits!

There's even all the Tim's, Mc D's, Canadian Tire's and Walmart's of the world, but I'm just going to pretend that that portion of the city doesn't exist ;)


The first day that we were here Dad and I did a little tour of our own. We climbed the Pilot's monument hill, walked around the downtown core, drove out on the ice to see some of the house boats and we found a great rustic restaurant which serviced some of the best fish I've ever had! Dad had arctic char and I had pickerel, but we shared.

The restaurant "Bullock's" was plastered with postcards, signatures, bumper stickers and anything else people wanted to post. One of my favourites was this sign.









We came across a flock of birds on our tour around town they're SO cute! Dad recognized them right away. "They're Tarmagons." I guess they're as common as pigeons which is so cool! They've got furry feet and they're so chubby I could just squeeze them. They're pretty slow too, so I just might catch one if I tried ;)








I dropped Dad at the airport last Monday and it was a sad goodbye. I was finally on my own in the north and Dad's trip was ending which if you know my Dad, is a very sad thing. It was an amazing once in a life time trip and I'm so thankful that I got to share it with my Dad. You rock pops!








I've started work and so far it's been great. There's over 30 people at FSC and everyone I've met had been really welcoming and supportive. I've also had a chance to get out on the town, see a local band and have a few great meals.










This past weekend I was determined that the wind and cold would not stop me from enjoying the outdoors. I strapped on my new snowshoes and spent an amazing afternoon touring around one of the downtown lakes.










Tomorrow night I'm going to sign a lease for a great place and I'm really looking forward to shipping my things up and getting settled. Now I've just got to decide if I'm staying long enough to ship up my bed and all my other favourite things.... hummmm. I guess I don't have to decide that just yet...

I'll keep you posted.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.