Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Day 5




8:00am


Dad's got his talk to give today in Brandon so we're on the road early. Well - early enough! I'm driving the 3+ hours so he can do some last minute editing and prepping.

It's another clear blue day and the prairie landscape is sparkling. Lots and lots of snow and lots of snow capped bales of hay which make me smile because they look just like Muffets with sugar on top!

There is a huge field of fay bales on the side of the road - storeys high and miles long. They've been completely abandoned and it's sad to see such a huge waste. I take a few pictures because it's hard to grasp the scale of things when there's nothing else around.

9:30am

The land is completely flat as far as we can see. Dad and I both crack up laughing when we see a sign for a golf course. Oooo - how challenging ;) It's possible - that somewhere over the horizon they have made a few lump and ponds, but it just seems ridiculous.

Just after the "golf course" exit is "Hughes campground" - I wonder if they're related to Bill? In the background there is a train chugging along and I suddenly realize that you can see the whole thing! It must be 80-100 cars and you can see every car! Now that's flat.

12:00pm

We arrive in Brandon at the house of old friends of my parents from their time in the north. It's so cute because they welcome me in with big huge and it's the first time in YEARS that anyone has said - "you're all grown up!". Which is a funny thing to say to me, but the last time they saw me I was in diapers so I guess I've "grown up" a little ;)

I have a great visit, looking at old pictures of my parents and the north while Dad heads to the conference.

4:00pm

I've walked through Brandon to the convention centre to meet up with Dad and his colleagues. Agriculture week in Brandon is a HUGE event. 1000's of farmers and if I'd had any idea how many cute farming boys would be at this conference I'd have passed on the tea and cookies!


10:00pm



The day ends as we share a great meal with old family friends and a few glasses of wine. I think I'm gaining a 1lb a day - and I really don't care. Fat and happy is my motto for this road trip - I'll have lots of time to shiver off the pounds over the next few month!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.