I'm packing up the hotel room and Dad's got a conference call this morning. A later start should be ok because we're only planning on covering around 700km today.
We're on the road to Edmonton. The sun is shining again and I still can't get over how big the sky is here! Oil drills are scattered over the fields, mixed in with cattle and horses. There are a few hills popping up once in a while and the prairie landscape is starting to disappear.
There is blowing snow and high winds, but the X-trail is truck'n along. I'm thankful for my new wheels and the heavy load in the back. We drive by a town called Vegreville "Home of the world's largest Pysanka." What the hell is a pysanka? Dad's convinced it a huge perogie or some other kind of food - he might be right? For a few second we debate whether it's worth a detour, but lunch in Edmonton wins.
We arrive in Edmonton - past all the refineries and into my favorite area of Edmonton - Whyte Ave. I'm so excited to have lunch at Dadeo's. It's a great little restaurant - straight out of New Orleans - and the food is GOOD! After lunch we do a little window shopping, but it's -25 and we're anxious to get back on the road.
"Welcome to Peace River". It's a really beautiful town. Even by moonlight it's easy to see why the rolling hills and river valley are home to so many early homesteads and farms. We're staying in the Sawridge Inn. It looks super fancy, but we soon realize that almost every room has been built for the 100s of single guys who travel to work in the area and the rooms with 2 beds are in out buildings!?!?! Stinky, smoky, noisy out building! I'm not impressed.... but we don't really have any other option.
8:00pm
Thankfully there are plug-ins for almost every car in the lot, because it's almost -30 plus wind chill! Dad and I decide to stay put and find food in the hotel. Again, I'm thankful that I'm traveling with a man, because other than a couple of the servers in the restaurant and the girl at the check-in desk - I'm the only girl! Ya, Ya - I'd usually love that, but there are some BIG guys around here - and some don't look that cuddly ;)
Goodnight!
No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.